Yes, San Francisco is full of wonderful attractions suitable for the entire family! San Francisco, California is one of our favorite places in the United States. We enjoy visiting this amazing City every chance we get. Many of our Holidays in the U. S. always include a stopover in San Fran.
This beautiful City on the Bay in the State of California is filled with attractions, making it a perfect family vacation destination. Last summer our family did just that, packing up the motor home and driving down the Oregon and California coastline to this magnificent City called … San Francisco!
There is such a variety of things to see and do here, you could spend your entire vacation in the city and still not see all the wonderful attractions it has to offer.
As a matter of fact San Francisco was recently named …
“ #1 for Best U.S. Vacations and Best Summer Vacations ”by U.S. News & World Report http://travel.usnews.com
Have a look at this nicely done video listing a few San Francisco tourists attractions. View on …
It is a city filled with exciting history, arts and culture, shopping, dining and amazing nightlife.
If you have a family with children, there are endless sites and attractions for everyone to enjoy!
Some Popular San Francisco Main Attractions
Fisherman’s Wharf is a Major Attraction
When you arrive in this colorful city on the west coast, it is difficult to decide what to see first. Must see sites include …
- Alcatraz Prison
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Fisherman’s Wharf
just a few for starters.
One of my favorites is riding the beautifully restored Cable Cars that the City has gathered and restored from all over the nation. I am always fascinated and impressed with San Francisco’s attention to tourism and what keeps people returning over and over as a result of this. Every time I visit this unique City, there always seems to be additional San Francisco attractions being added to the list.
As an expert author with Ezine Articles, I am always looking for interesting stories and relevant travel information from other such author’s that may be useful for my readers. Be sure to check out my latest articles posted on Ezine. You will find them listed in the left sidebar on this page! Below is a nicely written piece on a few of the more popular attractions that I thought was worth sharing with you and which offers some helpful tips on things to do and see.
Golden Gate Bridge San Francisco
Destination Guide – San FranciscoBy [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Paul_Oneill]Paul Oneill
San Francisco undoubtedly deserves its honor as Everyone’s Favorite City, for it is one of America’s most tightly inhabited, with millions flocking each year to experience the stunning city by the bay. San Francisco’s attractions and San Francisco’s restaurants. Very few places enjoy such a laid-back atmosphere, varied mix of individuals and an eclectic character.
San Francisco International Airport is situated 23 km south of San Francisco. The Bay Area Rapid Transport or “BART” Rapid Rail service connects the airport to the city center.
This provides a connection to the Caltrain commuter rail service at Milbrae Station, from here trains leave frequently to San Francisco downtown. Regular bus service also leaves every thirty minutes or so in the direction of the City. Taxis take around one hour to the city center. Car rental is widely available and a cost-effective option. Oakland International Airport is 12 miles from the Oakland suburb and has similar Rail and Bus links.
The World War II Balao Class Fleet Submarine is one of the many sites to see!
USS Pampanito (SS-383)
Visiting an stepping down into the USS Pampanito was definitely one of the attractions I enjoyed most of all in the city. It was like going back in time and really makes you appreciate what our veterans experienced and endured for our freedom. As well, in the back ground of this photo is the other major attraction ” Alcatraz Island Prison.”
San Francisco Sites
What to See:
* Golden Gate Bridge - The rust-colored towers, elegant suspension and supportive cables of the Golden Gate Bridge make this legendary symbol of San Francisco the most photographed bridge in the world, and visible from nearly any high point in the city, although it is often cloaked in rolling fog.
* Alcatraz Island - Out in the center of San Francisco Bay, Alcatraz Island, or The Rock is one of Golden Gate National Recreation Area’s most well-liked destinations.
* Fisherman’s Wharf – Some people love the bustle of Fisherman’s Wharf, while others make a conscious effort to steer well clear of it. Either way it is extremely popular, attracting more people than any other city sight, with Pier 39 the commercial tourist center.
Interactive Map … Click on the icon, zoom in & out, get directions, export and so much more!
* The Cable Cars - One of San Francisco’s most charming attractions is its network of 130-year-old cable cars, the only mobile National Historic Landmark in the country, and the world’s only present system of cable cars.
* North Beach – Amid Russian and Telegraph Hills, North Beach is San Francisco’s Little Italy, that has long been the central hub for anyone with alternative inclinations.
During the 1950s the pleasure-seeking, non-conformist existence of the Beat Generation and their rebellious literature contributed to the neighborhood’s alternative character and tourists poured into the district for Beatnik Tours.
* Golden Gate Park – Of the numerous open green spaces in San Francisco, Golden Gate Park is the largest and the loveliest stretching from The Haight District to the Pacific Ocean, featuring gardens, lakes, many sporting facilities, and museums.
Beautiful Architecture and Floral Displays
There is a magnificent range of hotels available in this vibrant city. The main and popular areas of accommodation would be in …
- Fisherman’s Wharf
There is an extensive range of hostels, bed and breakfasts and luxurious hotels to suit everyone’s budget as well.
The nightlife in San Fran is as varied as the city itself. Every one of the neighborhood bars in San Fran has its own unique vibes and travelers looking for something beyond mainstream won’t have far to look.
* SOMA – San Francisco’s SOMA or (South of Market District) is the place to go for electronic music, hip hop and chill art lounges.
* Mission District – This is where you want to go if pub crawling is your thing.
* Marina District - More elegant than the above the Marina district, offers a more upper class option.
San Francisco’s North beach is open until the small hours and is full of strip clubs and secluded bars.
The Port of San Francisco
Simply Too Many Attractions to List
Paul gives just a sample of the many things to do while visiting this City. Here at Gr8 Travel Tips, I strongly suggest you include San Francisco in your family holiday plans at some point in time. You certainly will not be disappointed! There are many attractions in San Francisco for Kids as well to keep everyone entertained!
From strolling the streets throughout the City and gazing at the beautiful architecture of old homes and buildings, riding the streets cable cars or having fresh crab at Fisherman’s Wharf, it’s all here for you and your family to enjoy.
You may want to take in a professional sports event like a San Francisco 49’ers football game or perhaps a San Francisco Giants baseball game, or simply taking a scenic walk over the Golden Gate Bridge. You may even want to consider taking a beautiful scenic drive through the Napa Wine Valley and attend one of the exciting NASCAR races at the same time held each year in the area. A great event for the entire family!
One other wonderful sites of the City not to be missed and if you’re looking for a historic San Francisco Hotel, be sure to check out St. Francis Hotel at Union Square. Take a step back in time as you enter this glorious building!
This magnificent City will keep you and your family occupied for days on end. The many attractions in and around the City will keep you entered for weeks!
Be sure to visit …
for more detailed information on things to do, places to stay and how to get around this great City.
Have you visited San Francisco? If so, what did you enjoy most in the city?
Your comments are always Gr8tly Appreciated!
Please scroll down to the bottom of this page where you will find the Comment Box.